Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Surviving the Storm


James 1:2-18

Trials and Temptations
 2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. 6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.
 9 Believers in humble circumstances ought to take pride in their high position. 10 But the rich should take pride in their humiliation—since they will pass away like a wild flower. 11 For the sun rises with scorching heat and withers the plant; its blossom falls and its beauty is destroyed. In the same way, the rich will fade away even while they go about their business.
 12 Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.
 
 
     A little over a year ago, God moved my family from our home of 12 years in Normal, Illinois to Sachse, Texas. Our first day in town was our first glimpse at what the first few months here would be like. Hard. I remember sitting on my bed in my new room surrounded by boxes that were waiting to be unpacked and feeling so homesick. This feeling didn't let up too quickly and I relied on God to be my comforter. I knew that this was my new life that God had placed me in for a reason. Even though I couldn't see it then, if I continued to cling to Him, God would show me the reason in His timing. I learned that God would help me persevere and with His help, I would adjust to life in Texas in no time.

     To be honest, I had my doubts - my times of thinking I would never get used to Texas. But God worked with me through those times and now I am happy to tell you that I am loving life in Sachse, Texas. I have made wonderful friends and I can see God's purpose in this more clearly.

     What are you facing today that seems impossible to survive? I hope that you can find joy in the testing of your faith. Persevere and trust God's plan in this. Trust me, you will find that it is ALWAYS worth it to follow God, even when it is difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment